Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Reflecting on "How to Cook with Kale"

I'm off to a late start with one of my two MOOCS (massive open online course), Making Learning Connected. So for our first assignment, we wrote a "How to..." guide and I chose to write on how to cook with kale.  As part of our reflection process, which should probably take place a little more than two hours after posting, we have been charged with thinking about what we learned from making our guide and what did we see as the purpose of this assignment.

As I went through the process, I thought of several things:

  • Writing directions is an art form.
  • Use as few words as possible and choose them well.
  • Good images go a long way and it's probably better to make your own rather than to search for fair use ones.
  • Design and layout matter.
  • Writing out directions takes longer than you think.
  • I am in awe of the bloggers I follow.
  • I want to practice this is skill more so that I can get better at it.

What I've been using how to guides for this summer:
  • Sewing a tote bag
  • Making goat cheese
  • Learning to use a GoPro
  • Figuring out how to fix my blog
What will I be doing for the remainder of the summer?  Take a look at my list for work.  I made it with WorkFlowy, my list tool of choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment